I have called my version nicoise because I use a variety of olives, green and black. It comes together easily and the prep time is chopping time and toasting the bread in the oven. It is a very refreshing and filling salad. You probably have all the ingredients at home in your pantry, so get cookin'! Even if you don't have all the ingredients, it's ok... use what you got and don't worry about the rest.
Prep time: 15-20 min
Bake time: 20 min
- loaf of french or italian bread cut into cubes and place in a single layer on cookie sheet to toast at 350 deg for 20min, let cool
- red onion, sliced
- 2 large tomatoes or a pint of grape tomatoes, washed & chopped
- 1 large cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 2 avocados chopped
- handful of grated pecherino romano or parmigiano reggiano
- handful of olives, roughly chopped
- handful of capers
- italian dressing, to taste or make your own*
- crushed red pepper to taste
- salt & pepper to taste
combine everything except bread. Add bread 10 min before serving.
Notes: *Make your own Italian dressing by combining: olive oil, red wine vinegar, mustard, one clove of smashed garlic, salt, pepper, italian seasoning, a squeeze of lemon and a pinch of sugar.