simple crisp okra
It's my baby brother's 28th birthday next week. Well, he's not exactly a baby anymore, but since he is younger, i bestowed that right upon myself. His favorite dish since childhood has always been okra. Ask him anyday what he wants, and he's likely to reply okra. He likes it sliced in thin rounds and sauteed till crispy with minimal spices to let the earthy flavor of the okra come through.
Goes great with some lavaash or naan with some raita on the side. I will stress that after washing the okra, to make sure that the okra is completely dry otherwise you will be privy to the infamous slime.
This is a simple humble dish that is a really quick cook.
prep time: 15 min
cook time: 20 min
- 1 lb okra washed and dried thoroughly & chopped into small rounds
- 2-3 tbspn oil
- 1 tspn mustard seeds
- 1 tbspn chili pepper powder
- 1 tbspn cumin powder
- 1 tbspn coriander powder
- 1/2 tspn turmeric powder (optional)
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbspn chopped cilantro
1. heat oil in nonstick pan on medium heat and add mustard seeds
2. when the mustard seeds finish popping after a minute or two, add the okra & salt to taste
3. stir the okra to mix and saute for couple of minutes
4. cover and turn heat to low, stir occasionally for next 15 minutes and keep covered in between
6. mix in all the spices and cover for another 2-3 minutes
7. remove lid and turn the heat on high, and let any moisture evaporate. The okra should turn crispy in a couple of minutes.
8. turn off heat and squeeze half the lemon over the okra and stir in the cilantro.
The spices are really to taste in this dish so adjust the heat level as desired. We like things really spicy so I usually add another couple tbspns of chili powder.
You can also throw in some sliced shallots and garlic after the mustard seeds pop for more flavor.