Thursday, November 22, 2007

pre-thanksgiving dinner

Last nite as I was still sick, my husband braved the grocery store in midst of the crazy bustle of thanksgiving shoppers to buy frozen CPK pizza. They have a new Mediterranean one out with kalamata olives and grilled eggplant. So as he heated up the pizza, I toasted some English tea bread and slathered it Nutella while it was still warm. I couldn't have asked for a better dinner. It made me feel so much better. Those empty calories lifted my spirits right up. If you've never had it, you have to try this little indulgence just once. I warn you not to give this to your kids if you're a label reader or if your kids are the overkill types that once they like a certain food that's all they'll eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner for the next 3 weeks.

I was lucky enough to find the "real" Nutella from a Middle Eastern grocery store and let me tell you it was soooooo much better than the American stuff. You'll notice right off that it isn't grossly sweet. Also, you get much more of the hazelnut goodness coming through. It's $5.99 for the real deal. Cheap remedy for a cold.

Notes: Once again, I ask all ye faithful to forgive the God awful Corelle... and please any suggestions are MOST WELCOME!

4 comments:

Indian Food Rocks said...

I bought mine when it was still made in the US. No longer. :-( I think it works very well for daily use. I don't have any fancy china, believe it or not. :-D

Nutella on toast or Nutella on slices of slightly tart apple is to die for. Glad it brightened your spirits!

Haven't been to CPK for ages!

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

mmmm...i love Nutella! This reminds me that I need to buy some:-)

Alpa said...

Manisha - You're right, it is practical for everyday use. I mean it's almost unbreakable isn't it? I didn't know they are not made in the US anymore. This is part of my mom's original set, so it's on "loan" :)

Maryam - Welcome! Nutella is wonderful to have around.

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

I could live off Nutella if I had too!