Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Back home











Dear Readers,
Here is hoping that all of you had wonderful holidays! Just browsing through a few blogs, I'm already saddened by what I missed until I find time to go back 2 months worth of everyone's wonderful posts. I was so warmed by all your wishes for a delightful journey, so a big warm thank you to all.

My vacation was wonderful, beautiful, hectic and exhausting as I'm sure anyone who has traveled to India will tell you. It's one of the most complicated places you will ever visit as well as one of the most endearing and spiritual.

Visiting India is like having a personal time turner like Hermione's. You will see places and people who haven't the slighest clue as to any modern conveniences. What you see may shock you or enlighten you.

The first snap is of a modern Mumbai dwelling sadhu, the following is of a "ghanti" or a manual grain mill I found in an old home in the small village town of Ontharia in Gujarat. The third is a vegetable vendor in Mahableshwar and the final picture is of a homeless community who reside at a temple which I used to pass by everyday in Mumbai. They were so surprised and at the same time ecstatic that I wanted to take their pictures.

8 comments:

Mansi said...

My fist time here Alpa..welcome back, and will see you soon with india pics:)

mayurfine said...

It's about time you came back! Get those pics online fast so that I can see what everyone's up to!

Indian Food Rocks said...

Welcome back! Looking forward to seeing your pics!

Alpa said...

Mansi - welcome! Thanks, please do visit again.

Mayur - hey bro! My laptop has gone AWOL, so pics will be up shortly.

Manisha - Thanks so much! I missed you!

Cynthia said...

Welcome back!

Alpa said...

Cynthia - Thanks! So glad you've come back to visit!

Cynthia said...

The picture with the vegetable vendor is so inspiring, makes you want to get into the kitchen!

Alpa said...

Cynthia- Hi there! Isn't the vendor just fabulous?