Sunday, April 13, 2008

Methi na thepla


Methi na theplas are one of the breakfasts we look forward to on the weekends. i've never been much of a person who craves donuts and pastries for breakfast, i'd much rather have something hot and spicy. methi na thepla are like whole wheat tortillas made with fresh fenugreek leaves.
i usually make enough to last for the next few days worth of breakfasts. it is best to store them in a ziploc and reheat them for 15 sec in the microwave.
i am giving a basic method, if you don't have access to fenugreek leaves fresh or frozen, just use any grated squash such as dudhi (opo squash) or zucchini. you could even use grated carrots and cabbage. use what you got, this is all about your own family's preference.
methi na thepla
serves 6
prep time: 10 min
cook time: 30 min
vips:
  • 2 cups of whole wheat flour mix together with:
  • 3 tablespoons oil
  • salt
  • 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (optional)
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1 teaspoon ajwain (caraway seeds)

then add to the flour:

  • 1 cup fenugreek leaves, washed & chopped, or if frozen, thaw first
  • 3 tablespoons yogurt
  • crush together: 3 green chilis, an inch of ginger, 2-3 garlic cloves (optional)
  • add enough water to make a soft pliable dough and let rest for at least 30 min

the play:

  • after the dough has rested for 30 min, make into 12 small round balls and keep covered
  • take one ball of dough and roll out to about 6-8 inches, use extra flour for dusting
  • heat a tawa or a flat pan and on medium heat, cook the thepla on one side for a minute or two
  • flip thepla over and brush with oil and cook for 1-2 more minutes
  • flip again and brush other side with oil
  • cook until brown spots appear on both sides and is cooked through (approx 2 min on each side)

Listening to: soft groovy sounds of Stan Getz, 'I'm late, i'm late' off his album, Focus (1997, original recording, 1961).

19 comments:

Sagari said...

methi theplas look deleciousss

sewtakeahike said...

Hi Alpa,
You are a girl after my own heart!! Spicy Indian or Mexican food for breakfast is my fav!!! I have a ? for you. When I was in college one of my best friends happened to be from India and she would make these flat spicy crispy crackery things on the gas stove that just rocked. We put some spicy cilantro chutney on the top and that was often my breakfast. Any ideas what these might be called? And do you have a good recipe for cilantro chutney? A lot of the chutney's I have tried are water based, but this was oil based and oh so good!!!

Alpa said...

Sagari - thanks! come over for some tea :)

Penny - You're so sweeeeeet! there are so many variations on those "crackers", so it really depends on what part of india your friend was from. In the state of gujarat, we call them puris or mathris.

Now, to make it more confusing, there are many types of these and they come soft to eat like naan with curries or hard like crackers to have as a snack or breakfast.

But you can actually use the dough i mentioned and make them into small rounds and deep fry them until they're crispy or bake them (brush w/oil first). I will post a recipe for cilantro chutney for you. Mine doesn't include water or oil and can only be stored for a couple days in the fridge. If this isn't what you're looking for, you'll find some great indian bloggers at www.connect.sailusfood.com, i'm sure someone will have the recipe you're looking for!

LisaRene said...

These are lovely and sound very tasty! I can appreciate the lovely combination of herbs and spices. The pans you are cooking them on are interesting.

AnuZi said...

Through my college years one of dear friends and roomies was a gujrati girl. Her mom was an amazing cook and she would pack (extra because of me hehe) these theplas and achaar. Your brought back memories of late night studying, while munching on these yummy rotis :o)

Archy said...

Nice Methi thepla Alpa !! Lovely pan to make the thepla, Indian !!
I rem my mom making in this kind of pan.. nice to see it in ur blog :)!!

sewtakeahike said...

thanks for the info Alpa, I look forward to trying your cilantro chutney recipe!

Alpa said...

lisarene - Hi! Yes, they are made especially for all the different flatbreads we make daily. I know a lot of the indian grocery stores have started carrying them. Let me know if you're interested!

anuzi- Really? Theplas are something everyone seems to love! So easy & tasty & long shelf life :)

archy- Hey there! Doesn't everything taste better when mom makes it, lol!

penny- No problem, let me know if you attempt it! Will post soon :)

Prixie said...

your blog always makes me hungry! even if i just ate ;p

Alpa said...

prixie - Awwwww, that is the best compliment ever!!! You're invited over anytime :)

Unknown said...

Hi Alpa, i had tried these thelpas at our friends place and I loved it. I wanted to make them .Thanks for sharing the recipe. The pictures have come out great.

TNL said...

I adore these on weekends.....they are perfect with some masala chai....

cheers, ts

Lotus Reads said...

Hi, Alpa!

You must be a Gujarati :) I love the look and sound of these methi theplas! I grew up in a Gujarati neighborhood in Santacruz, Bombay and my lovely neighbors would make them all the time! Seeing the recipe here is making me so nostalgic! :)

Thank you for sharing!

Alpa said...

Pearls - please make them, they really are a cinch to put together!

Trupti - Somehow, other breakfast doesn't really make you feel satisfied does it? I don't even think about food for a good couple of hours after these, hahaha :)

Lotus - Hi there and welcome! Yes, i am gujarati and my parents are from Santa Cruz!! We just stayed in our flat for 6 weeks when we went to India a few months back. Wow, that's something! Let me know if you try it out! Thanks for stopping by :)

Miri said...

I like savoury stuff for breakfast too! These theplas look delicious!

Alpa said...

Miri - Thanks, I'm glad you like them!

delhibelle said...

thanks for a great thepla recipe....mine never turn out as soft and delicate as the ones I had at my gujju friend's..i now realize why- my dough never looked at soft as yours

Alpa said...

delhibelle - Thanks so much for stopping by, I hope you get a chance to try out the theplas! Keep the dough very soft and don't forget to bind it with either yogurt or buttermilk!

R Shah said...

Try to add Bajri Flour ( Millet Flour ) and use yougart and very little water. This will make thepla very soft.

Lata