Monday, April 7, 2008

kathiawadi bhakri and tea



if you know anything about the kathiawad region of gujarat, you will know this rustic peasant flatbread called bhakri. it is made from the most humblest of ingredients - flour, water, salt and ghee or oil. it is made on a round shaped clay pan. when it is cooked on clay, you will notice the texture and taste is very different than when cooked in a nonstick pan. it is slightly blackened in spots and has a nice slightly smoky flavor to it. it is generally served at breakfast with chai.

the method is simple enough - you just mix whole wheat flour with salt, rub in the ghee or oil until it's a little crumbly and mix enough water just to barely bind it together. this should be a firm, crumbly dough.

form into rounds the size of golf balls (about 1/2 cup) and roll into 6-8" rounds and prick with a fork. place on a heated nonstick flat pan on low until brown spots appear approximately for 2 minutes. flip and do the same, making sure the bhakri is cooked through completely. top with ghee or butter and serve.

11 comments:

Pooja said...

Little typo in there its called "Kathiawad" Alpa. My native is there ,yours too ?
This bhakhari is better than any biscuit in the word, isn't it ? We used to cook it on Tavdi ( clay pan ) and oh my god... I can fee l its smell even now :P. I should make some now, I am craving for it looking at these pics...

Alpa said...

Pooja - Yes, that's where my family is originally from :) I added the "i" to the end of kathiawad to denote the region the bhakri is from. so weird isn't it - other people i know call paranthas bhakris. they saute them in oil just like the paranthas. so many regional differences! Yes, i cook it on a tavi too :)

Meera said...

It looks so wonderful, Alpa!! I love it with masala chai. I am looking for that clay pan for a long time now!
I blogged about the same some time back. It's a must at my in-laws home. Thanks for sharing your recipe. Drooling!! :-)

Sunshinemom said...

Loved your blog - and the bakhris. Here in Mumbai, bhakris refer to any rotis made in the same style you mentioned but only made out of gluten free flour such as amaranth, rice flour, maize etc. I am making this soon some time.

Sagari said...

woww u made a wonderful bakris

Alpa said...

Meera - you did? i'll check it out! i try to bring back 3 or 4 from india because 1 or 2 of them will break on the trip back, lol.

sunshinemom - Hi! welcome! I know isn't all the terminology mind boggling? so many differences even amongst gujaratis too!

Sagari - Thanks!!

Pooja said...

Meera & Alpa ,
no need to bring it from India. I got one Clay tavdi from a Indian store in new brunskwick, NJ. that too of very good quality , big and pretty heavy . it is also having tiny hole in it to cook bhakhari and rotla throughly... probably both of you must be knowing the reason of it, right?
If you need any more details do let me know .

TNL said...

I love Kathiawadi cuisine, and this is a reular in our home, I remember going to my grandparent's house and having this bhakhri with sev-tameta shaak. Saathey Adad ni daal aney Ohlo katelo saras lagey!

cheers, trupti
the spice who loved me

Alpa said...

Pooja - Hi, thanks for correcting my ongoing spelling error :) I didn't know you can get them here! Mine always seem to break in transport, lol! I will keep an eye out at the indian stores around this way! Thanks again!!!

Trupti - Hi, nice to see you here again! I love bhakri with udad ni dal & of course a sliced red onion! Heaven! Thanks for reminding me of this combo, haven't made it in forever!!!!

Cynthia said...

Alpa, I need to put a good amount of ghee to get that desired crumbly consistency right?

I'm going to be using 2 cups of all-purpose flour.

Alpa said...

Cynthia - Hi! I've never made this with AP flour, but when I use 2 cups whole wheat, I usually use about 3-4 tbspn oil/ghee. It should yield approx. 5-6 bhakris. Don't forget the salt :) Let me know if you try them!